LUMINEERS® for Minimal-Prep Smile Enhancement
When you come to us for treatment, Jacksonville Dentist Dr. Lysandro Tapnio wants you to have several different options. For this reason, he offers minimal-prep LUMINEERS®, as well as traditional porcelain veneers. LUMINEERS® offer many of the same advantages as regular veneers. They have numerous applications, and they will blend beautifully with your smile. They are also much thinner than traditional veneers, so Dr. Tapnio will need to remove little to no enamel before placing them on your teeth. Therefore, you could enjoy a stunning smile in as little as one appointment. However, because of their smaller size, LUMINEERS® are not suitable for everyone. Dr. Tapnio will evaluate your smile and cosmetic goals to determine the right treatment for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
What Are LUMINEERS®?
Like traditional veneers, LUMINEERS® are thin porcelain shells, made to match your smile. By attaching them to the front of your teeth, Dr. Tapnio can correct several different cosmetic concerns. Their functions include:
- Covering up small blemishes, such as cracks or chips
- Giving you a whiter, more sparkling smile
- Closing spaces between teeth
- Reshaping teeth
- Covering up old metal fillings that have started to show through
- Straightening crooked teeth
Dr. Tapnio will conduct a comprehensive consultation before any cosmetic or restorative procedure. By evaluating your dental health and treatment goals, he can determine the most appropriate treatment for you. He will also explain your other options, so you can make a confident and informed decision about your cosmetic care. Once you have chosen LUMINEERS®, Dr. Tapnio will take impressions of your teeth to ensure that the porcelain fits correctly. He will also take pictures of your smile so that the lab technicians can choose the right shade of porcelain.
It will usually take a few weeks for the lab to craft your restorations. When the LUMINEERS® are finished and have been sent back to our office, Dr. Tapnio will treat your teeth with a mild chemical solution. This will create microscopic fissures so that the porcelain can bond with your teeth more securely. In some cases, he may need to remove a very small amount of enamel to make room for the LUMINEERS®. However, in many cases, he can avoid this step entirely.
The Benefits of LUMINEERS®
LUMINERS® can transform your smile, making you look years younger after a single treatment. Along with this most obvious benefit, they offer a number of additional advantages. They include:
- Convenience: Because there is little to no prep work involved, Dr. Tapnio can usually attach LUMINEERS® in a single appointment. Additionally, it is easy to care for these restorations. Proper maintenance involves little more than routine dental hygiene.
- Negligible discomfort: In most cases, LUMINEERS® will attach directly to your dental enamel. Even if Dr. Tapnio does need to remove some material, you will feel very little, and you will experience minimal post-treatment sensitivity.
- Reversible: Traditional veneers are not reversible. If one comes off or is damaged, you will need to replace it to prevent dental sensitivity. With LUMINEERS®, on the other hand, you can enjoy complete dental function even if the porcelain does come off. However, to maintain the look of your smile, you will probably want to replace the LUMINEER®.
- Lifelike appearance: Because LUMINEERS® will be designed just for you, they will be virtually identical to your natural dental enamel.
- Improved self-confidence: With your stunning new smile, you may also enjoy a huge boost of self-esteem.
LUMINEERS® vs. Traditional Veneers
LUMINEERS® and traditional veneers are very similar in many ways. However, there are some key differences. First, because regular veneers are much thicker, they require more tooth preparation. The amount of enamel removed will vary. In many cases, Dr. Tapnio may need to trim away about a millimeter for optimal esthetic results.
On the other hand, due to their reduced thickness, LUMINEERS® may not be suitable for all cosmetic functions. For example, if you have extremely dark stains or a very obvious metal filling, LUMINEERS® may not be able to conceal them completely. In some cases, LUMINEERS® may not be the most effective choice to reshape your teeth or perform “instant orthodontics.”
Are LUMINEERS® Right for You?
If you struggle with any of the cosmetic concerns listed above, LUMINEERS® may be a great way to improve your appearance. They can also be a good option if you are unable to receive traditional veneers due to dental erosion. To fully determine your candidacy for treatment, Dr. Tapnio will consider your overall oral health. Gum disease and dental decay can affect your ability to receive LUMINEERS®. Severe misalignment can put pressure on the porcelain, causing it to crack. After appropriate care, however, you may still be eligible for treatment.
Contact Us to Learn More
To learn more about LUMINEERS® and to find out if you are a candidate for this treatment, schedule an appointment with Dr. Tapnio.